Justin Call graduated from Harvard University in 2012 with a Master’s in Literature and Creative Writing. He has studied fantasy literature for almost two decades and is the author of Master of Sorrows, Book 1 of The Silent Gods tetralogy. Justin is also the CEO of Broomstick Monkey Games and co-designer of the games Imperial Harvest, Royal Strawberries, Royal Scum, and 8 Kingdoms. He currently lives in Park City, Utah with his wife, his two sons, his Great Dane (Pippa) and his St. Bernard-Mastiff (Herbie).
In this interview, we dive deep into his creative process, explore how designing board games has helped his world building, and discuss how he’s writing one of the most challenging and subversive fantasy series of this decade.
Or click here to listen online.
Justin’s top writing-advice books/resources:
– Save the Cat by Blake Snyder
– The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell
– The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell
– The Writing Excuses podcast
– 101 Habits of Highly Effective Writers
– 101 Habits of Highly Effective Screenwriters
Justin’s top books/authors:
– ‘Crowfall’ by Ed McDonald
– Book of the Ancestor Series by Mark Lawrence
– Anything by Brandon Sanderson (I second this suggestion).
@jedherne (Twitter, Instagram)
One thought on “43. [Interview] Justin Call – Author of Master of Sorrows – board games, fantasy, and the creative life”